Most helpful review

Shoppers Discount Scam

They got me years ago also. It's almost a life changing event, because you have to close your current bank account and debit card and open new ones. At the time I got stung, I remember more than one variation of the name. (Sneaks.) I highly recommend that people watch out for this name, and be very, very careful when buying things that don't go through PayPal. Read your computer screens very carefully when buying things on line. Be very careful what you click on. 'ANYONE' involved with Shoppers Discount, belongs behind bars. What they have going on here is a very sophisticated and sly criminal activity.
Reason of review
Not as described/ advertised

Scam

I noticed on my credit card that I have been charged $12 monthly for some time. When I called the company, this had initially occurred because of an online music purchase I made. The customer service representative spent some time describing how I will no longer get the benefits of the service if I cancel the membership today. She also described how much more I can save if I stuck with the membership. This is a membership that charged my credit card without me knowing. There were no savings! Then, she said that she would email a form to give me a refund. I have waited for a day, and there is no such email! Be careful of this showing up on your credit card!

Unauthorized charge from Shoppers Discount

I discovered Shoppers Discount has been charging me 12.00 per month on my credit card. I never authorized this and have absolutely no idea how they obtained my cc number. Since my daughter uses the same card for legitimate college expenses and doesn't always tell me what she ordered I never noticed the extra charge for something that had appeared legitimate. I have subsequently discovered that this company pulls this scam on other consumers, hoping they do not notice. MasterCard provided minimal help, as they tell me they only cancel the last charge, not previous ones which had been paid.

I to was caught in this scam. I called Shoppers Discount and was told I was enrolled when I accepted a Pizza Hut discount - how disgusting.

Also, the person I talked to told me I have been receiving monthly emails telling me the $12.00 was being charged to my checking account, a statement this is an outright LIE! I am also going to file a complaint against this company.

:( Got the same situation. I'm pissed!

How can they just charge membership fee without my approval?!

I mean this can be called a crime. I gonna tell everyone never touch their prompt window and never trust them.

In case anyone is interested in a contrarian view here….. I was signed up for Shopper Discounts and Rewards when they called me on my cell phone.

They convinced me with a 30-day money-back guarantee. I used my membership pretty much immediately and was credited with a little bit of cash back due to my purchases. Of course, I then forgot all about it and the 30 days passed without a thought. When I saw the $12.95 monthly membership fee show up on my card I had to trace it through the credit card company before I remembered signing up.

I then decided I was going o cancel it. I did so and got no hassle from customer service. However, I was not going to get the $12.95 back, so I decided to try to use the service for the balance of my membership time so as to mitigate the $12.95. To my surprise, I discovered that the membership worked for me.

Then one day I went to use it and discovered that my membership had lapsed (according to schedule). So I actually called Shopper Discounts and Rewards and signed back up. This was January '09 and I have been a member ever since. How I insure that it works for me is as follows.

I take advantage of the monthly deal where you can buy up to $100 dollars worth of gift card for $80 (I get four $25 dollar gas cards for $20 each). Then I take advantage of the $10 monthly bonus that you can get by using the service at least once during the month (a requirement which the aforementioned gift cards purchase satisfies). So by doing a few minutes of pointing, clicking, and e-mailing, I come out ahead by $17.05 ($20 plus $10 minus $12.95) monthly - at a minimum. I come out even further ahead if I use the service wisely for other purchases that I was going to make anyway.

What I usually do is shop the web outside the service for whatever product I am interested in, note the 3 or 4 best deals that I find, and then log into the service to see if any of those 3 or 4 vendors are affiliated with the service. I find that around half the time I get the best deal through Shopper Discounts and Rewards. For example, the other day I found Quicken 2010 on Intuit's website for $20 off ($39.99) – the best deal I could find that looked legit. I then went to Shopper Discounts and Rewards and discovered that Intuit is affiliated with the service.

So I got the $20 Intuit discount plus was credited for an additional 15% cash back by linking to Intuit through Shopper Discounts and Rewards. So after more than a year and a half as a member, if I am getting scammed, I’d like someone to explain how – I have yet to see any truly bogus credit card charges as a result of my membership. To make this membership (and those like it) work for you, you just need to maybe plan your purchases a little more and be willing to do a little bit extra work. Most people probably won’t do this and their membership fees are subsidizing the rest of us I guess.

C’est la vie. I am sticking with Shopper Discounts and Rewards until it no longer works for me.

Update on my ongoing argument with Shoppersdiscount: They informed us that in April they refunded 36.00 of the total of 84.00 they charged me since last year. They refunded only 24.00, not the 36.00 they said.

They indicated they will refund another 48.00 after I kept complaining. We'll see.

We were also told they had sent confirming e-mails last year. I can only say we never received a single indication - not in our e-mails nor in spam - we had signed up for this.

I just found out Shoppers Discount was charging me $12 a month on my charge card! This has been going on for more than a year.

My husband thought It was something I had suscribed to. Not so! I never heard of Shoppers Discount until just now. I called their number and they refunded the last 4 payments right away, and to try and get the rest of the money they took without my approval, I have to submit an "unauthorized charge affidavit." We'll see what happens.

They tell me I signed up when I made a FTD flower order online....not so.

Somehow I believe they tapped in to or with FTD and got my credit card number. No more ordering flowers on line!!!!!

Hello:

I just read your post and want to give you an official response on behalf of our company. It’s important to me that your concerns are addressed and that your issue is resolved. If you have questions or feedback, please contact our customer service team at 1-80*-***-****. Alternatively, you can contact me directly at mary@***.com. If you contact me directly, please reference this post.

Thanks,

Mary

Re: My earlier complaint

I contacted Shopper's Discount, which told me they will refund three months worth of charges - not that I have yet received it of course.

:( i to never approved this fee either and my lord its been like 2 years how iin *** did they get my info??i called my police and bbb.

View more comments (7)
Pontiac, Michigan

Shoppers Discount Scam

I recently purchased some flowers through "FTD" on-line. I was inadvertently signed up as a member with "Shoppers Discount" to the tune of $12. per month. I called my bank to inform them of this bogus charge on my credit card. My bank told me I would have to cancell my credit card in order to file a complaint and have my money refunded. I also called "Shoppers Discount" and had them cancel my membership immediately. I also called the folks at "FTD" to let them know what had occurred and to let them know they had lost a customer due to this affiliation with "Shoppers Discount". Buyer beware.

That happened to me on 1-800 flowers. I did not realize that I was being charged for 10 months. When I called 1800 flowers, they gave me a refund of the 10 months I had paid because I had not used the service.

Salem, Oregon

Charge credit card with no authorization $24

Just noticed on my Visa two 12.00 charges from Shoppers Discounts. Don't know how they got my CC# and I do not order on-line. I'll try to cancel today but will cancel CC if no satisfaction. Charges showed on dec and jan statements which I pay in full every month and normally don't use care of check statement. My error, forgot about the skunks (I apologize to the four-legged kind) that roam our planet. I know today will be one of frustration to get this corrected. About to cancel all 3 of my CC's and get something that is more protective of the consumer. Does anyone know of a CC like this? Robert Miller, Santa Maria, Ca.

I ended up calling Shopper Discounts and they cancelled my "membership" and refunding the money. They took money out for the past 4 months and I didn't notice! CC company is making things difficult.

Yes. I have the same problem, a charge for $14 and change I never authorized from Shopper's Discounts. Calling Visa today to dispute.

Unauthorized charges on 12 for Dec and Jan on my Visa CC from:

Shopper Discounts & Rewards

P.O. Box 855

Shelton, CT 06484 . Will spend today trying to get this scam fixed. Probably have to cancel Visa.

R Miller

View more comments (2)
San Lorenzo, California

Shoppers Discounts.

My name is Patricia Hanson and Shoppers Discount took out $24.00 out of my checking account. My acct. number is 7530**** and the transaction numbers for these are: 800-889-* CT 12/27/09 $12.00 800-732-* CT 12/27/09 $12.00 I do not have a recollection of giving permission for them to take money from my account. I was under the impression that they were sending my advertisements for sales in stores not to take my money!!!!!! I want my $24.00 back. Lets clear this up quickly. Please advise. Thank you, Patricia A. Hanson

I called bank of America and they gave me this number to cancel from both shoppers discounts and savings

Discounts: 1-80*-***-****

Savings: 1-80*-***-****

Call to cancel.

Boston, Massachusetts

Buy.com & Shopper Discounts .com

On 6/30/09 I ordered something from Buy.com. and sometime in July I started getting a $12.00 charge on my credit card. I did not pick this up until today and I called Shoppers Discount company and they were telling me about my membership, yes that's right, the very one I did not sign up for. They mentioned they were partnering or something like that with Buy.com. I was furious and demanded that they refund all the money they charged me and they said they would. I also called American Express and told them to put the money back. If Shoppers discount actually credits our account in 3-5 days like promised, Amex can have it. Be aware of coupons during check out, I think that is how they got me as well. Shoppers Discount is a scam, I wonder how many people do not realize and just cancel their membership after forking over 12, 24 or more dollars. Will be reporting to CT BBB, DCA, and attorney general. mc

I would never ever buy anything from Buy.com because of this fraud of shopper discounts. They started to charge me from 2008 and I didn't realize it until today. I am really angry at buy.com and upset about it.

I dont understand people who dont CANCEL their CC IMMEDIATELY, once discovered. Theyre the same people who vote for the same "Incumbents" each time

I got ripped off too. *6* MONTHS they have been debiting my card of $12.00 per month.

I always thought I was a very savvy online shopper but they got me. I called and they told me it would be removed in 5 days. We'll see. I also filed a complaint with the BBB.

There are a few buy.com listed but the company in question is the only one that (ironically) is part of the BBB. Beware.

They really are ***. I just ordered something from buy.com and it of course gave me the option to sign up for the shoppers reward.

I declined and continued to check out. At the end of the check out is another button that says, "your order is complete. Click here to continue". Then below it in fine print it says you're agreeing to sign up for the very offer I declined on the previous page.

How many times do you have to say no? I'll never order from them again and if I could cancel my order right now I would.

I am one of the victims of this scam. I never fell for any scam online or email, because I never believe in free stuff.

Whenever any pop up or advertise for this kind of stuff came to me, I always ignore. I believe many people do so. So Buy.com and the Shopper Discount become more sneaky by adding the rebate at the end of my regular order making me think that this is a real reward (not free stuff) after I purchased things from them. Of course with full of several pages details which of course nobody will read through them.

They intentionally ignore to highlight the detial that I have to be monthly charged for $12 which I think it is very importance thing to do.

So I fell for it, I only had one time $10 rebate but I was charged $12 each month for several months. I suppose I can dispute for it, unfortunately I was very busy and couple charges were slipped through, and I have no time (at the moment) to handle this.

I warn all of you to be aware of this scam from Buy.com. I use to order from buy.com every month (one order at least). Now, they never get a penny from me.

They want to earn that few bucks, now they will never get any buck from me forever. So everyone please do not shop from this store for the sake of goodness.

View more comments (5)
Willimantic, Connecticut

Sent me an e-mail and I got charged $9.00

I was checking my bank account and notice a debt for shoppersdiscount, charged to me at 6:30am I'm thinking "WTF" , now I'm a single guy close to 50 who get's everything he need's at the local Walmart, to make a long story I bought a few thing's from "JCW" they get my e-mail address, send me am e-mail I click on It and I'm signed up for shopper's discount what ever the *** that Is, so be careful, look's like nothing Is safe anymore, even company's that have been around for ever and trusted like "JCW"
#131982

Shoppers Discount and Rewards began charging my credit card 12.00 per month. This was never authorized and since my daughter uses the card at college for legitimate expenses, and I don't always see the charge slips, I didn't realize this was not a legitimate charge.

Dear Heffff: Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to insure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate and to identify opportunities to assist our members. Through this monitoring, we found your comments posted on this forum about our membership program, Shopper Discounts & Rewards.

If you are unhappy with your subscription or have any questions regarding your membership to Shopper Discounts & Rewards please contact Webloyalty.com Customer Service at either 1-80*-***-**** or send an email message to consumeraffairs@***.com. Regards, Mary O'Reilly Webloyalty Consumer Affairs Shopper Discounts & Rewards

Saginaw, Michigan

Online Media Technology gave me Shopper D & R

This was a gift that keeps on taking. I started getting my charges from Shopper Discount and Rewards when I purchased AVS software. I contacted Shopper Discount and Rewards and was told when and what company was the one that spread this scam. Which was Online Media Technology that produces the AVS software. I had received an email that looked like spam from S D&R. It did not say anything about me being charged $12 a month. But it does have a link to my profile where I am being charged. I am digging into the further. I have sent email to AVS sales to see if they have anything to say about it. I will then go to Discover to inform them about S D&R.
ID
#132050 Review #132050 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Old Town, Maine

Shopper Discount Scam

I was reviewing my credit card statement today and saw a $12.00 charge from shopper discounts and could not figure out what this charge was for. I looked them up online and came across this site which said it was a scam like many others have received. I called them 1-80*-889-**** and they cancelled my membership and are going to refund the $12.00. Thankfully this was the first charge to my account. Apparently when I made a purchase from ftd.com I signed up for this. Please be aware of this when ordering from ftd.com. The first month is free and you have to cancel or you will be charged $12.00 monthly.

scam. pure scam.

now i am told they charge me $12 per month for last sixteen months so I could get $10 off my next purchase. Does that even make sense?

Oh well...this is why I always read the fine print...twice!

This program is absoulutely a scam. They do this through many other websites including allposters.com (which is how they tricked me.) I didn't notice they were charging my credit card until 4 months into the "subscribtion".

I canceled my credit card and now they say since I canceled my credit card they are unable to refund my money.

Ms. O'Reilly why would you have to monitore the blogosphere if your business was legit? I do not know of any other business so interested in keeping a cover on what your business really does, deceive consumers.

How many of your consumers knowingly sign up for this program?

You should be ashamed to have your job. Just because it's legal does not make it ethical.

Dear Consumer: Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to ensure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate. Through this monitoring, we found your comments posted here about our membership program, Shopper Discounts & Rewards.

We would like to speak with you directly to address your concerns but do not have your contact information. If you are unhappy with your subscription or have any questions regarding your membership to Shopper Discounts & Rewards please contact Webloyalty.com Customer Service at either 1-80*-***-**** or send an email message to consumer affairs @***.com.

We will be happy to help you. Regards, Mary O'ReillyWebloyalty Consumer Affairs Shopper Discounts & Rewards

View more comments (3)
Tampa, Florida
Loss

Monthly deducting a $10.00 fee for any future orders I would make.

Re:Shoppers Discount #986******** 800-889**** Antonio & Evelyn Carrero Carolina. PR 00987 On 6/10/08 I ordered (2) 60 pill bottles of Hoodia (Gordunii Plus) on sale for the amount of $69.00 sale! ??? I honestly don't know how a company that would have at least the minimum respect for it"s clients ( mean new clients) for this is the first time I have ever done business with them. Well these guys are monthly deducting $10.00 from my credit card, assuming I will continue buying pills for ever. This discount is for some kind of (reserved discount space) for their clients. I am authorizing our Visa Banco Popular to immediately stop the process of this monthly discount and any future discounts with this company.

I had the same thing happen to me unfortunately it took me almost 3 years to realize the $9.99 monthly charge to the tune of $324.00! Be very cautious!

San Juan, San Juan Municipio

Shoppers discounts and rewards

this is a scam that happens when you make a purchase at online at sites such as musinotes.com as I did. There is a quick pop-up that you barely have time to see, let alone read. report them to better business bureau as will I. they automatically start charging your credit card on a monthly basis. i spoke with my credit card company (Discover) and the lady I spoke with told me she had a complaint against this company last week and the poor person had been scammed since 2006. I see a major judgment when that axe falls on this outfit.

I also just noticed this charge on my account so I went to their website and found a telephone number. When I called they were fairly nice about the situation.

I told them that I did not authorize the charges and I wanted my money back and they quickly cancelled my membership and refunded my fees. Hope things go as well for anyone else having problems with this company.

i just found the same charge on my visa, what recourse do i have do you think?

Los Angeles, California

Shopper Discounts $12.00 Scam

Like many others i too found charges on my credit card for shoppers discounts. The first I ignored as I thought it was something trivial I didn't recall. Once the pattern emerged I immediately went online and found this happens often with this company. I called shopper discounts (800-889-****) and found that I got signed up for this when I made a purchase from FTD.com. I desperately wanted to get irrate and barage them with a stream of profanity but their customer service rep was very pleasant. They cancelled my enrollment and gave me a complete refund without question. But you have to be specific that you want a full refund, if not they may try to only refund you the most recent fee.

The same $12/month fee happened to me when I purchased posters on allposters.com in September. I have no recollection of signing up for their service.

The rep said they offered me a $10 discount on my next purchase and I clicked on it. I tried to find out if it was a pop up, or outside link that I clicked on and that wasn't to clear.

Shoppers Discount moves around the web offering promotions and discounts with a catch, that it seems many aren't catching. :(

#22009

Dear Consumer:

Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to ensure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate. Through this monitoring, we found your comments posted on this forum.

We would like to speak with you directly so that we can assist your but do not have your contact information. If you are unhappy with your subscription or have any questions regarding your membership to Reservation Rewards please contact Webloyalty.com Customer Service at either 1-80*-***-**** or send an email message to consumeraffairs@***.com.

Regards,

Mary O'Reilly

Webloyalty Consumer Affairs

Reservation Rewards

Cleveland, Ohio

Shopper Discounts Scam

I’ve been monitoring my daughter’s credit card statements since she left for college last Fall. In February 2008, I found a charge from “Shopper Discounts 800-889**** CT” for $12 and didn’t think much of it because I thought she had...

I somehow got signed up for this through PizzaHut.com. Beware.

View more comments
Gainesville, Florida

Shopper discounts rip-off

I have seen complaints about unauthorized membership fees being charged to credit cards or bank accounts by SHOPPER DISCOUNTS. I was also charged 10$ per month during several months, directly from my bank account (which I don't know how they got the references of) for a membership I never subscribed to. I was prompted a link while shopping on line with Barnes and Nobles and trying to get Coupons, I thought offered by Barnes and Nobles for my purchase, validated. As it is a small amount, I did not pay attention and is only after a few months that I realized that I was being ripped-off systematically. All internet shoppers and consumers please be aware of this threat. Lucas Aardenburg, Miami, FL
Miami, Florida

Wli Shopper Discounts

I have been scammed, too! I found three transactions for $10 on my debit card statements for the past three months on the same day from these ***-artists. I don't even know how they got access to my info. I have intentions to find out quickly and take action if necessary. I have conducted several searches with them as the subject and have come to the conclusion that i'm not the only one this has happened to. I have reasons to believe they are operation in conjunction with some other website that I may have purchased products from. Just wanted to warn anyone who came across this name and get any advice.If anyone has any info please contact me. Thanks!

:( i just looked at my debit card statement too and notice it..It was for $12.00.What is going on with this im not understanding..Who gives them the right to take money from people I will be calling the number in a minute im beyond mad

since bank statements arrive late, just notticed 3 months of $12.00 monthly charges by-"Shopper Discounts" I have no idea who the H___ they are or what the billing is about. Nothing authorized by me! :( :(

Dear Efranklin15:

Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to insure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate. Through this monitoring, we found your comments posted here about our membership program, Shopper Discounts & Rewards.

We would like to speak with you directly to address your concerns but do not have your contact information. If you are unhappy with your subscription or have any questions regarding your membership to Shopper Discounts & Rewards please contact Webloyalty.com Customer Service at either 1-80*-***-**** or send an email message to consumeraffairs@***.com. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Webloyalty Consumer Affairs

Shopper Discounts & Rewards

View more comments (2)
Mesquite, Texas
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article